Raising the Bar for Sustainable Products
Ecobeauty is the most natural, ethical and environmentally responsible product range we have ever created; it supports our company-wide commitment to become a sustainable business.
Launched in 2011 as a cross category range, and relaunched in 2016 with a focus on skincare, Ecobeauty balances a level of performance that meets our consumers’ high expectations, while using ingredients that are in line with our sustainability standards.
Here is an outline of the 2016 re-launch range’s sustainability credentials:
- Every Ecobeauty product is between 99-100% natural, between 8-59% organic and contains no parabens, silicones, mineral oils or synthetic fragrances.
- The range includes the following Fairtrade ingredients: shea butter from Burkino Faso in Africa and coconut oil from Kerala, India.
- Every raw material we use is reviewed by the Oriflame team of experts, and sent for approval by the appropriate independent external organisation.
- All major Ecobeauty packaging components are recyclable where facilities exist– this includes plastics, glass and cartons.
- The pump pack of the face cream is a single-material pump that is much easier for our customers to dispose of responsibly, and because the pump is airless there is limited waste product at disposal.
- The tube of the eye creams, contains post-consumer recycled (PCR) plastic.
- The board in the cartons used is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) as coming from responsible sources.
The first range, launched in 2011 was accredited by four independent global organisations Fairtrade, Ecocert, The Vegan Society and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC). This was a world first, and indeed it was the first global cosmetics range to be certified by Fairtrade. Because of the number of global markets in which Oriflame is present and the reach of our 3 million consultants, we are giving these important organisations the chance to be a lot more visible.
With the relaunch on 2016 we focused on skincare, while all of the products are natural origin, they are also either certified organic origin or certified by Fairtrade.
We are very pleased with Ecobeauty’s impact so far. And we are not the only ones: in 2014 we won the prestigious Eco Beauty Award at the CEW UK Beauty Awards (the ‘Oscars of the beauty industry’). Other recognitions include Best Natural Cosmetic in Poland, Best Foundation & Best Shower Product in Cosmopolitan Latvia, and an acknowledgement from the President of Ireland during Fairtrade Fortnight 2012.